Hello there! This month, blogger Will of GreenCooking shares one of his toothsome pancake recipes. This post was originally featured on his site in June 2016.
It’s starting to get warm now, and so summer fruits are appearing in shops – one of my favourites are cherries, and so I decided to make pancakes with them. However, this time, I’m using chia in the pancakes, which means they are made quite differently from normal – notably, there are no eggs involved! After posting a picture of the end product on my Instagram page, some of you requested that I posted a blog post with the recipe, as you were so eager to try this healthy breakfast recipe out yourselves! So I hope you enjoy making this, and please tell me how it goes!
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup milk (can use almond/coconut etc. substitutes)
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp maple syrup
- 15-20 cherries
- Using a blender, mix the milk with the chia seeds for around 10 seconds, until combined. Either leave to one side for around 1 hour, or place in the fridge overnight, for the chia to absorb the milk.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined.
- Add the chia mixture to the bowl along with the vanilla extract and maple syrup. Whisk together.
- Cut the cherries in half, removing the stones. Add to the mixing bowl and mix.
- In a medium sized pan, heat a little oil at high heat. Turn down the heat and add around 1tbsp of the mixture. Using a spoon, spread the mixture over the pan to your preferred thickness of pancake.
- Allow to cook for around 1-2 minutes and then use a metal spatula to flip the pancake. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, until golden brown, and then remove from the heat.
- Repeat step 6 until all of the pancake mixture has been used.
- Serve with fresh cherries and double cream/crème fraiche.
- If cooking a thick pancake, make sure the heat is low so that the pancake does not burn, and cook for around twice as long so that it is cooked throughout.
- Replace the cherries with other fruit such as strawberries or raspberries, or even add some cocoa/chocolate to the mix!
*Recipe by Will of GreenCooking
Photo and Recipe by Will.