Tomorrow is Valentines Day and everywhere you look, you see red. I thought I would join this red bandwagon by adding another quick recipe to your menu for tomorrow. This recipe is all things Valentines: it’s sweet, it’s red, it’s perfect for 1 or 2, and it’s a great gift.
I originally made this recipe in the midst of tomato season but decided to save it for just a bit longer. Today’s the day I chose to share it because of it’s loving color and passionate flavor. If you are a part of a duo, this recipe is a great gift to express your love. If you are like me and are spending your Valentines Day at home alone, you can make this recipe as a gift to yourself. This recipe is my gift you you!
- 2 pints mixed small or cherry tomatoes, of varying colors, half and quartered
- 2 teaspoons za’atar
- 3 ½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ yellow bell pepper, seeds removed and very thinly sliced
- ½ small red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- ⅓ cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Flaky sea salt
- 3 ½ ounces feta cheese, broken into small chunks
Mix the za’atar with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil, and set aside.
Place all the tomatoes in a bowl along with the pomegranate seeds, sliced pepper and onion, the herbs, lemon juice, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and 1 teaspoon of salt. Gently mix the salad, then transfer it to a large shallow bowl or serving platter, and dot it with the cheese. Drizzle the za’atar mixture over the salad and serve.